Your involvement and support is crucial to helping the Gardens continue to represent the best of who we are as Oaklanders. Last year, the Gardens were named “Oakland’s Hidden Oasis” by ABC Local News, and “The People’s Garden” by Oakland Magazine.
Join the Fun and Support the Garden
On gardens work days, please bring your gloves, and your favorite small garden tools if you have them, and a friend. We provide gloves and garden tools as well. Just show up, we’ll be glad to give you a job!
Tell the parking attendant at the kiosk you are with the Friends of the Garden at Lake Merritt and volunteering at the Gardens at Lake Merritt so you can park for free.
Gardens of Lake Merritt Friends
In the past, the Gardens were supported by a professional staff that helped keep the grounds beautiful. Unfortunately, municipalities can no longer hope to maintain these treasures without partners in the community. The Herculean efforts of the Gardens’ dwindling and overextended staff, assisted by a corps of stalwart volunteers, have not only kept the Gardens vibrant and vital—they have worked a miracle—the renaissance of this city’s green heart.
The Friends of the Gardens of Lake Merritt, a volunteer group, is dedicated to the stewardship of this resource, helping to maintain the Gardens, while advancing a vision of educational and cultural capacity-building.
Our current workday volunteer offerings for individuals and small groups are:
- First Saturday of the month – Mediterranean Garden – 9:30 am – 12:30
- Third* Saturday of the month – Sensory Garden – 9:30 am – 12:30
- Third Saturday of the month – Rhododendron Garden 9:30 – 12:30
- Third Saturday, new Meetup group focused on learning about and maintaining the pollinator gardens. Info: meetup.com/Lake-Merritt-Gardening-Group/events/
- Weekday morning volunteer events and other fun activities will be announced on our Facebook page
- Contact us for more information!