“Come, Thirsty Ones, to the Fountain Set Out in the Open for You. Let the Joyous Multitudes Come” – Easterbrook Fountain inscription translated from Latin
Many famous Italian gardens are noted for their cool wells and delightful fountains, just as the recently restored Easterbrook Fountain, an antique Italian bird fountain, is now the centerpiece of the Mediterranean Garden. The fountain, created from pure white Carrara marble by distinguished Florentine sculptor Petrelli, was shipped to the United States in the early 1900s by East Bay philanthropists, Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Easterbrook.
In 1914, Mrs. Daniel E. Easterbrook, world traveler, noted East Bay philanthropist and bird lover, donated the lovely bird fountain to the “little park” adjacent to Lake Merritt (now the Gardens at Lake Merritt).
Mrs. Easterbrook long pleaded with park gardeners to turn down the nearby McElroy fountain at certain times of the day so wild birds could have brief opportunities to drink and bathe. Her love of birds later led to her presenting the delightful “Easterbrook” bird fountain to Oakland through former Mayor Frank Howard.
Special thanks to Bruce Cobbledick, President of the Friends of the Gardens at Lake Merritt, for his dedication to restoring this beautiful treasure for the enjoyment of all Oaklanders . . . and the birds.
Top photo by Robert Dorsey III; Bottom photo by Bruce Cobbledick