Community Volunteer Work Party Events
March 3, Saturday– 9am-12pm: Mediterranean Garden and Overall Garden TLC.
March 17, Saturday– 9am-12pm: Sensory, Palmetum, and Rhododendron Gardens
Bring a friend and a garden tool. When volunteering, receive a parking pass at the kiosk by telling the attendant you are a volunteer with the Friends of the Gardens at Lake Merritt.
In the event of rain, meet behind the lathe house (the Vireya Display Garden) where we will plant cuttings under cover.
Tips for the March Garden
Prepared by the Alameda County Master Gardeners
- Plant root crops in garden (carrots, beets, turnips, radishes, potatoes, etc.).
- Plant peas.
- Start seeds (indoors) of warm season crops requiring less than 4 weeks of growth before setting out. These include cucumbers and squash.
- Set out cool season crops and cool season flowers (pansies, nemesia, primrose, etc.).
- Prepare soil by digging in cover crops and incorporating “hot” manures (this can be done earlier).
- Do a test run on irrigation system and complete needed repairs.
For additional gardening tips, go to: http://acmg.ucdavis.edu/