Bee Hotel Garden is a Beautiful Insectary
Our bee hotel garden is a beautiful insectary for native nesting bees. In California, we have over 1600 varieties of native nesting bees! These are the tiny bees you see darting around your gardens, pollinating flowers and vegetables.
They do not make honey. They do not have a queen or a hive. Young children are incredulous when they hear this! Their only job is to pollinate 70% of the food we grow here in California.
These bees usually nest in the ground, or in downed wood. We clean up much of that old wood, and have created this habitat for them here. The bee blocks and logs have holes of various sizes, for the many different sized bees.
- Eliminate the use of pesticides
- Plant a diversity of nectar- and pollen-rich plants (10 or more species)
- Mass each plant in patches 1 square meter or larger
- Choose plants that bloom in succession over the seasons
- Avoid excessive manicuring
- Set aside some bare patches of soil for nesting
Quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error.